Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Fee TV

So today I found out I won a 55" flat screen Sony TV. I won it legitimately too. At Safeway there was a contest where you sent in a post card with your name and other information on it, and one of the prizes was a TV. (Some of you who shopped a Safeway in February might remember the football scratchers we were giving out; well the employee contest was in tandem with that.) Pretty siced about that. However, there is a catch. I have to pay taxes on it. Like a lot of taxes. Like over $1,400 of friggn' taxes. By the way, the retail value is only $3,700. So I don't know what to do. The claim form says I have 7 days to claim it, or I loose it. There’s no date on it, so I don't know when those seven days started. Another detail that rubs me the wrong way is that the model number* of the TV listed on the sheet where it gives the total estimated taxes I will have to pay is different from the one on the official form by one letter. Maybe a typo, but the error seems to occur on the official form according to a quick Google search. That’s kind of weird. Like are they going to give me a different, much worse TV as a trick? Whatever. I will call the hotline in the morning.

But now I have to decide what to do. Do I just forget about it? Do I pay the taxes and get a big new TV? Do I put it up for auction among the employees of Safeway?(an idea my boss suggested to me when he told me that I had won over the phone) Or do I see if one of my friends want it? Or do I put it up for sale on the internet? Or do I pay the tax, get the TV, and then sell it. Decisions decisions. Anybody want it? (Yes I'm talking to you Sean, the one and only reader of my blog)



*For those interested, the one on the form is KDP-55XS955 while the one on the much less official looking information sheet is KDF-55XS955.

1 Comments:

Blogger MS2k said...

Meh, I don't have that kind of money just lying around. =/

If you haven't called yet, be sure to express your distaste at paying over 1/3 the price in tax wen you do. Although a 55" TV for $1400 is pretty good.

7/14/2006 12:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Web www.mrdisk.blogspot.com